10 Facts That Will Make You Look at Flying in a Totally Different Light!
by Traveleads | February 8, 2019 | Latest News
Traveleads customers save an average of 20% on their annual long-haul travel. With access to travel industry fares and specially negotiated rates we are able to generate huge savings on published prices, which we than pass on to our customers – we’re all about saving you money!
This week we asked our airfare experts to share some interesting facts about long-haul flying that we might not already know – we have compiled a list of our top 10 favourites … you might look at flying in a totally different light:
- Food and drink will taste different at 33,000ft this is because up to a third of your taste buds shutdown at high altitude Ever wondered why aircraft meals usually include rich sauces and spices – now you know!
- An aeroplane at its cruising altitude can be as dry as the Sahara Desert, this is due to the pressurisation of the cabin – at just 20% humidity this roughly matches humidity levels in the Sahara!
- After a long haul flight your lips will feel dry and your eyes might itch, hardly surprising considering fact number 2, all that dry air causes your body to lose 8 ounces of water an hour – you do the maths …on a 10hr long-haul trip your body will lose 2 litres of water by the time you land.
- Planes only need one engine to fly and can actually land with none. Commercial jets can glide to the ground with both engines out – assuming there is a place to land nearby.
- It’s technically impossible to die mid-flight. Of course it does happen from time to time, but as cabin crew aren’t registered doctors they are unable to officially declare someone dead, that can only happen for legal reasons when the plane is on the ground.
- The sky is the 156th most populated place. With approximately 9,700 planes and approximately 1.2 million people in the sky at any given time the great blue yonder has a population similar to that of Estonia!
- People become more emotional at altitude due to decreased oxygen and stress levels, so if you notice a change in mood, or suddenly start feeling a bit down you’re not alone.
- Worried about locking yourself in the loo during your flight? Relax, it’s impossible. The bathroom doors are fitted with a hidden switch so they can be opened from the outside, even when obstructed from behind – the doors are designed to collapse and lift out.
- A Boeing 767 holds almost 24,000 gallons of fuel (23,980 gallons to be exact) and can be filled in just 28 minutes.
- A Boeing 787 can fly 10,000 miles on a single tank of fuel.
To check availability, or to book your next long-haul flight please contact your Traveleads consultant.
New customers please contact email@example.com to find out more about the many ways Traveleads can reduce your travel costs without compromising on service or quality.